Iron is an essential mineral which plays a key role in the making of healthy red blood cells. Without healthy red blood cells, your body doesn't get enough oxygen. When you don’t get sufficient oxygen throughout your body, you're going to be exhausted, which can affect everything from your brain function to your immune system's ability to fight off infections. Iron deficiency in infants* may adversely affect the long-term neurodevelopment and behavior, some of these effects may be irreversible. Giving low birth weight babies an iron supplements during the first 6 months of life appears to improve their behavior around preschool age. Studies** also indicate that children with behavior problems and iron deficiency may also benefit from taking iron. **http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-adhd/news/20041217/study-links-low-iron-to-adhd#1
*Based on recommendation from: Baker, RD, Greer, FR, and The Committee on Nutrition of the American Academy of Pediatrics. PEDIATRICS 2010; Volume 126; 1040-1050. Diagnosis and Prevention of Iron Deficiency and Iron-Deficiency Anemia in Infants and Young Children (0-3 Years of Age). Online Address: http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/126/5/1040 and also from “Dietary Reference Intakes”, Food & Nutrition Board, Inst. of Med., National Academies of Science; available online at http://iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/RDA%20and%20AIs_Vitamin%20and%20Elements.pdf)
High-risk groups include:
- Women of child-bearing age who have blood loss through menstruation
- Pregnant or lactating women who have an increased requirement for iron
- Infants, children, and adolescents in rapid growth phases
- People with a poor dietary intake of iron
- People who donate blood more than three times per year
- Adolescents, especially male & female endurance athletes
- People who have had Weight Loss / Bariatric Surgery
- Restless legs syndrome - an uncomfortable tingling feeling in the legs.
- The Elderly
- People who use aspirin regularly
- Low Birth weight infants
- Premature infants
- Breastfed babies
Sign and Symptoms
Do you suffer from the following:
- Are you continually tired?
- Do you have difficulty concentrating?
- Feel chilly or catch colds easily?
- Cold feet and hands?
- Do you find it hard to exercise?
- Brittle finger nails and hair?
- Unusual food cravings?
- Decreased appetite (especially in children)
In infants and small children, anemia will manifest itself in the following ways:
Skills such as talking or walking will develop later than normal
- Short attention span
- Excessive crying and fussiness
- Slow growth and development
People with lower iron levels may be at greater risk of heart disease, a new study has found. (click on link above for more information)Precautions: Before taking any iron supplement always check with your healthcare provider to determine if you are iron deficient.
- Ferretts IPS by passes the stomach. 93.7% of patient report NO side effects.
- Ferretts IPS is soluble in the intestinal track and is quickly absorbed.
- Ferretts IPS is Gentle and Non-Constipating
Ferretts IPS is a unique iron compound that has a distinct delivery mechanism for better tolerability and absorption.
Ferretts IPS iron supplement is non-soluble in the acidic environment of the stomach thus completely bypasses the stomach before the iron is released. Food does not affect absorption, which allows for more convenient dosing.
Compared to other iron compounds Ferretts IPS is safe, gentle, non-constipating, and provides superior absorption.
Ferretts IPS is the only iron compound that provides the highest degree of tolerability. This is very important, since iron therapy works only when iron stores are brought back to normal levels through consistent usage of an iron supplement which normally takes several months.
Better Tolerated = Better Results
Feel the difference!
Contact your healthcare provider before taking any iron supplement.
WARNING: Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6. Keep this product out of reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Statements on this page have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.